Location of Object/s:
Thompson’s Point Baths - Thompson's Point, Snug Cove, Eden, 2551.
Blue Pool – Scenic Drive, Bermagui, 2546.
Aslings Beach Rock Pool – South-western end of Aslings Beach, Aslings Beach Road, Eden, 2551.
Accessibility of Object:
All are public facilities accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Thompson’s Point Baths is located on the north-western shore of Snug Cove opposite the main wharf area and below Thompson's Point. The facility can presently only be accessed around the rocky shoreline at low tide.
The Blue Pool is located opposite the water tower on Scenic Drive, Bermagui, and is reached via a staircase from the parking area.
Aslings Beach Rock Pool is located at the south-western corner of Aslings Beach and is accessed along the beach.
History and Provenance of Sites:
Thompson’s Point Baths:
As the 19th century rolled over into the 20th, Eden was already becoming a popular holiday destination, its sandy beaches and convenient ocean access being highlighted to promote the town’s benefits.
Local residents first made moves towards the establishment of safe public bathing facilities in 1899 and after a site was granted, trustees were appointed in December that year. The inaugural committee meeting was held in September 1900 and in October a request was sent to the Minister for lands for a £300 grant to construct a “...suitable bathing area…” at Thompson’s Point. Local member, the Honourable W. H. Wood was also approached to support the application.
After some toing and froing to secure a suitably qualified government officer to advise on cost estimates, the Superintendent overseeing construction of the nearby Merimbula Wharf was asked to follow up. A £75 grant was received from the Lands Department in November and although Mr. Blomfield, Engineer, of the Harbours and Rivers Department, suggested during an inspection in July that Shelly Beach would be a more appropriate site, the committee opted to continue with the Thompson’s Point option.
Public donations reached £10/18/- by 1904 and in 1905 contracts for construction of public baths “…at the foot of Flinders Street…” were awarded to J. A. Spurling for excavation of the rock (£15) and John Hines for cementing the baths and erecting a room (£11/18/-).
Just three years after its completion, the Trustees were moving to enlarge the facility and with a £2 donation from a Mr. Whitney and £25 from the Lands Department, a £45 contract was again awarded to J. A. Spurling. Nonetheless, despite ongoing and popular use of the site from the early years of 1900, it wasn't until 1913 that a Permissive Occupancy was issued by the Lands Board to the Trustees.
By 1936, extensions to the baths were again being considered and to that end, the Eden Advancement Association secretary, the Harbourmaster and Mr. Denholm inspected the site and took soundings. Agreeing that a shark proof swimming area was an “...absolute necessity…”, the association decided to apply to the Imlay Shire Council for a £1,200 grant to undertake the work. However, although the shire agreed to submit a grant application, the President noted that the Minister for Works and Local Government Mr. Spooner would be faced with a choice between the baths or the Burragate Bridge.
By mid-1936, alternative sites were being suggested and in July the association called a public meeting to "...devise ways and means of bringing about the construction of the proposed baths..." An Eden Town Baths Committee was appointed to take over the project for the "...establishment of safe swimming baths..." but when they faltered after only a month the Eden Advancement Association was forced to resume control, embarking on what would ultimately be a lengthy and drawn out process.
Between the mid-1930s and 1960, a range of other sites were considered including Snug Cove, Cattle Bay, the wharf area at the end of Weecoon Street, Yallumgo Cove (Ross' Bay), Shelly Beach, Imlay Park, and, finally, Aslings Beach. A number of different formats were also explored - wire netted bathing areas, heavy rope shark-proof nets and stone sea walls; and other local governments were contacted for information about construction and maintenance costs. Imlay Shire Council was also approached to prepare plans, specifications and costing estimates for the various possibilities.
Once a new site at Cattle Bay was settled upon, fundraising commenced in early 1937 and by May the trust account stood at £150. The same month £1,000 from a £10,000 shire-wide town improvement scheme grant was earmarked for new baths at Cattle Bay and in about 1939 the Eden Advancement Association purchased the site. By this time, however, the tragedy of World War II had broken out and fundraising emphasis quickly shifted to patriotic rather than local infrastructure efforts.
Not surprisingly then, the Thompson's Point Baths continued to play an important recreational role for the community. After the Permissive Occupancy was terminated by the Lands Board in April 1946, a peppercorn rent option was taken up by the Eden Advancement Association in 1947. In 1949, the facility was still being described as "...the present rock pool..." and by March 1953 council was trying to determine ownership and construction details in order to respond to requests to repair the access footbridge. Permissive occupancy was apparently still active in 1962 and in November that year Mrs. F. M. Smith wrote expressing concern about the safety of the footbridge.
Aslings Beach was first raised as an alternative site for a new ocean pool in 1946, but despite local media highlighting the "...urgent need for [a] shark proof ..." facility, it wasn't until 1960 that a site at the southern end of the beach was finally agreed upon.
Thompson Point Baths remained a popular and important recreational and educational facility for the local community for many generations and even after construction of the AslingsBeach facility, it continued to provide a sheltered, calm and safe swimming area, free from sharks and other perceived ocean predators for many of the district's youth right through and in to the 1960s.
Further north at Bermagui, residents had been making the most of what was known as the Blue Hole, a natural rock pool at the bottom of the cliffs, for many years.
However, eager to take full advantage of the spot so that it could be utilised at both low and high tides, a number of locals approached NSW Minister for Works and Local Government, Mr. E. S. Spooner during a 1937 visit to the town. After he advised that they would likelyreceive a grant towards enlarging the swimming hole if the public was also able to also contribute, the community began fundraising in earnest. Bermagui’s “…fairy godfather…” William Robert (“Bill”) Dickinson threw his weight behind the project and the push to transform the Blue Hole into a usable saltwater swimming pool quickly gained momentum.
On 12 March, 1938, the public opening of the facility was held with Councillor Riley, President of Mumbulla Council, officiating and Mr. H. J. Bate, M. L. A., Member for the South Coast, performing the official duties. Local media reported on the event which included a swimming carnival “…which amply demonstrated what fine and safe baths the Blue Pool provides…” A tennis tournament was also held followed by a dance in the evening.
Described as “Bermagui’s Big Asset”, the “…fine safe swimming hole…” was “…built in a natural stone setting overlooking the ocean…[and] flushed by every tide...” Reportedly costing in excess of £700, the government gave £250 and local residents including Bill Dickinson contributed the remainder. Considered “…equal to any on the coast…”, the main baths were 200 feet (around 61 metres) in length and 100 feet (about 30.5 metres) wide with a depth of between five (1.5 metres) and 15 feet (4.5 metres). A concrete diving platform was installed at the deep end, although this was later removed, apparently in the interests of safety. A special children’s pool measuring 50 foot (around 15 metres) long by 25 foot (7.5 metres) wide and 2 feet (about half a metre) deep was also located at one end. Five tons of cement, 70 tons of concrete and five tons of steel were used in the construction, while many tons of rock were blown out.
“Spacious dressing sheds…” for men and women bathers were originally built of timber, but in late 1938, the £308 tender of Mr. Armstrong of Bega was accepted for brick rooms.
Described as one of Bermagui’s great benefactors, Bill Dickinson’s contribution to the Blue Pool was said to be in excess of £300. This included the cost of concrete steps leading from the top of the cliffs down to the pool to improve public access to the new facility; the concrete floor of the children’s pool; and two water tanks for the use of picnickers using the site.
A regular visitor to nearby Narooma for many years, Bill first called in to Bermagui in 1934, reportedly because of bad weather and looking for a change from fishing. Apparently taking note of the number of very elderly people buried in the local cemetery, he concluded that it must be a healthy place to live and the following year, he moved in to the Horseshoe Bay Hotel. He remained a resident there until his death in 1949.
Born in May 1866 at Annandale Cottage, Petersham, Bill was the second child and eldest son of Samuel and Penelope Brooks Dickinson, nee Johnston. A member of a socially prominent colonial family, his mother was the daughter of Lieutenant Robert Johnston and granddaughter of the infamous Lieutenant Colonel George Johnston of the 102nd Regiment (New South Wales Corps), a chief participant in so-called Rum Rebellion and the overthrow of Colonial Governor William Bligh in 1808.
Born in Sydney in 1790, Bill’s grandfather Robert spent his early years in New South Wales before his father took him to England when he was seven to attend school. At the age of 13 he entered the British navy, the first Australian-born to do so, and during his time in that service, was involved in some of the most conspicuous battles and sieges of the early part of the 19th century. He was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant and, after returning to England, decided to take a leave of absence and visit his family in Sydney.
Soon after his October 1816 arrival in the colony, Governor Macquarie secured Robert’s services for a voyage coastwise to Batemans Bay during which he “discovered” and named the Clyde River as well as Snapper Island, so called after the Government cutter of the same name in which he was travelling. After returning to Sydney, he accompanied the Governor on a visit of inspection to Newcastle and Port Macquarie and traced the source of the Warragamba River. The following year, he returned to the Batemans Bay area accompanied by surveyor/explorer Alexander Berry and explorer Hamilton Hume to navigate the Clyde to its source and was, with a group of others, reputedly the first Europeans to climb Pigeon House Mountain (known as Didthul to the original inhabitants).
Just as Robert was preparing to wind up his visit to the Colony, his brother George was killed and shortly afterwards, his father also passed away. Abandoning his plans, he decided to remain in NSW, taking up land and pursuing pastoral and agricultural activities with another brother, David. Members of the Johnston family developed Annandale Farm which later became the Sydney suburb of the same name.
In July 1831, Robert married Francis, the eldest daughter of Mr. Joseph Weller, having a family of seven sons and two daughters, Bill Dickinson's mother Penelope Brooks being the 7th child and oldest daughter. Robert was promoted to the rank of Commander in the Royal Navy in 1865 and maintained good health until his death in 1882.
Samuel Dickinson’s family were likewise well connected. His father William spent more than four decades in the service of her Majesty’s Customs in London, five of which saw him in the position of Comptroller-General. Samuel served in the same department for seven years before immigrating to New South Wales in 1855. There he engaged in various mercantile pursuits until entering into partnership with Alexander Learmonth in the firm of Learmonth, Dickinson and Co. In 1873 he bought 37 acres (15 hectares) of the former Ashfield Park Estate in the Croydon area, renaming the house The Hall and residing there until his death in 1904. Even after his retirement in 1888 Samuel served as a director of numerous public companies including the Australian Gaslight Company, the Mutual Life Association of Australasia, and the North Coast Steam Navigation Company.
Born into this background, Bill Dickinson would have undoubtedly enjoyed a privileged upbringing.
He remained a resident of Bermagui for fifteen years until he passed away suddenly in December 1949. Buried in Sydney’s Rookwood Cemetery where many of his family members had also been interred, he was 83 years of age and a bachelor at the time of his death, leaving an estate was valued at £34,344/7/2.
During his years a resident of the seaside town, Bill either partially or wholly funded an array of community projects. As well as the Blue Pool, these included four fine tennis courts and two shelter sheds, costing around £900; the beautiful Marine Drive, two miles in length around the cliffs which was planted with ornamental trees; forty tables and seventy seats for picnickers; a playground for children upon which six swings and a slide were erected; a cricket pavilion and seats; the planting of marram grass on dunes where scrub had been cleared or covered by sand; fencing of the town cemetery; a ceiling and supper room for King’s Hall; and raising the level of Dickinson Park to reduce the impact of high tides, as well as providing fencing, sheds, water tanks, children’s swings and trees on that site.
Bermagui’s Blue Pool was considered to be “…among the finest on the Far South Coast and command[ing] an ideal view of the coast line….” and not surprisingly was quickly pressed into service. Resident Horace Hurrell held special lessons there for local children over the 1938 / 39 Christmas school holiday period, after which a swimming carnival was organisedwith prizes donated by Bill Dickinson. After that, it became the site of many a BermaguiSchool swimming carnival.
In 1939 it was noted that “There is no doubt that the Blue Pool is a great attraction, and after a full tide has swept the baths, the water is fresh in the area and appears invigorating to swimmers.” All these years later, it remains popular with locals and visitors alike and the town’s answer to the Bondi Icebergs, the Bermagui Blue Balls Winter Swimmers, meet regularly there throughout the colder months.
Aslings Beach Rock Pool:
Back south in Eden, residents had spent 25 years looking for an alternative to the town’s original ocean baths at Thompson’s Point. For about a decade, a shark proof enclosure at Cattle Bay had been the favoured option, but just as some headway was being made, WWII broke out and all but essential projects ceased. It wasn’t until after the end of hostilities in 1945 that life gradually began to return to normal.
In August 1948, after public school headmaster Mr. J. Tierney pointed out that it was "...almost impossible to teach the children to swim with the present facilities..." a sub-committee was formed to try to settle the question and the Eden Surf Club was appointed to advise on the best site. After twelve months however, local media were still commenting on the "...urgent need for [a] shark-proof swimming pool...”, noting that, with several sharks seen close to the beach at the wharf, bathers were at risk of attack. Yet another sub-committee was appointed in 1950, but by July 1952, with falling attendance rates, the Eden Advancement Association went into recess.
After reports in 1953 of a three-foot-six Blue Pointer swimming under the wharf where children were bathing and a “Large school of sharks…cruising just beyond the breakers at Aslings Beach…”, the Magnet and Voice newspaper implored the community to act "...before a tragedy forces our hand..." By July the Eden Advancement Association had been revived and in October Imlay Shire Councillor Clare suggested that the introduction of the government's compulsory swimming lessons would be an opportune time to apply for a grant towards the cost of a new pool.
Nonetheless, when Eden's Learn to Swim campaign commenced in January 1955, the free lessons for the 48 participants commenced alongside the main wharf. The same year, the town's teenagers began joining the lobby for a safe swimming enclosure. After a letter to the Magnet and Voice noted confirmation by local fishermen that "...sharks are more numerous and, because of hunger, more ferocious than they have been for years..." they appealed for the establishment of yet another committee to raise the funds necessary to construct shark-proof baths, pleading "Please don't wait until one of us is taken by a shark..." Early in 1956 the CWA Younger Set joined the call but although Imlay Shire Council undertook to "...give the utmost support to any move to have a pool built...", they declined to take action themselves, maintaining that "...any such move would have to come from the residents of Eden..." who "...should themselves make some concrete effort to raise money to construct the pool..."
It was around this time that the Eden RSL became involved in the project. Recognised as one of the driving forces behind that latest and most successful push, an enthusiastic band of sub-branch members combined with other residents to organise fundraisers such as the popular aquatic carnivals when "…fishermen rendered great assistance...by making their trawlers available..." for events that included the distinctly local trawler races across Twofold Bay. After a number of successful affairs, a public meeting was called in 1958 to discuss progress, and the RSL sub-branch sponsored the formation of the Eden Memorial Swimming Pool Association.
Although debate continued throughout the late 1950s as to the preferred site, in 1959 five locations were put forward and by July 1960 the site at the southern end of Aslings Beach was finally agreed upon.
Local businessman Kenneth Bruce (“Ken”) Timms was appointed to act as liaison officer with Imlay Shire and that month he attended a council meeting to outline the site choice and table cost estimates. Approving the location, councillors resolved to have the Shire Engineer prepare plans, specifications and estimates for the pool as well as dressing sheds and toilet facilities, also undertaking to supervise all construction work. They granted Eden Advancement Association a £5,500 overdraft for the project.
After completion of the design, the contract was awarded to Mr. V. J. Jones of BermaguiSouth and work commenced in January 1961, with local names such as Fonga Nammensmaand Neil Snowden also being involved in the works. By April, an estimated ninety-five percent of the rock wall excavation had been completed and by August, all concreting except the valves was finished. In October, Bega's Mr. Ziegler produced and set in place a memorial plaque dedicating the pool to the "...gallant men and women..." who gave their lives in service during WWII.
Finally, in November 1961, after a luncheon at the Sapphire Coast Motel, local residents and guests adjourned to Aslings Beach for the official opening ceremony and dedication of the Eden Memorial Swimming Pool. In his speech, local member Mr. J. W. Seiffert MLA commended the committee and local residents on their decision to make the new pool a "...living memorial...", commenting "What better commemoration to those who lost their lives and those wounded in the War than to see all these wonderful healthy children just bursting to jump in for a swim." Highlighting the choice of site, he noted that it was "...an ideal one as it faces the rising sun. We all know that the rising sun is the emblem of all War Memorials..."
Measuring 25 metres by 20 metres and almost a metre and half deep with water refreshed by tidal action every six hours, the Eden Memorial Swimming Pool, including toilet facilities near the bottom of steps leading from the cliff top, was originally estimated at £7,000, but eventually cost in excess of £7,200. The Imlay Shire and the Minister for Local Government both announced additional contributions of £500 each during the official opening ceremony, while an appeal at the same time brought forth further funds from local citizens including W. Gandon, Mrs. H. Gacquerelle, Mr. L. Ramsey, Mr. A. Armstrong and Mr. A. Edwards. The local Ireland-Timms Forest Products business added another £100 to the coffers.
Not surprisingly, the facility quickly gained popularity with the community and in the seven years between 1962 and 1969 an estimated 525 local children were taught to swim there - lessons that reportedly took place in rain, hail or shine.
Former local resident and 1974 Australian Commonwealth Games competitor Michael Creswick also began his swimming career in the waters of the Eden Memorial Swimming Pool. Within a few years of the pool’s opening, his father Senior Constable Neville Creswickhad transferred from Lismore to Eden. With Michael and his three brothers showing particular talent as swimmers, the officer moved to have the local council dredge the build upof sand in pool and began training the four seven days a week. The boys also attended carnivals in Bega and Canberra, competing against other up and coming champions. Eventually though, Senior Constable Creswick applied for a transfer to Campbelltown to enable Michael to have access to better facilities and more intensive training. In 1974 he formed part of the Australian swim team competing at the British Commonwealth Games in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Outside formal swimming lessons and training activities, the baths became a popular haunt for local children, particularly during the Summer months or when the surf proved too rough, and even after the opening of Eden's Olympic Swimming Pool in February 1980, it remained a favourite spot for locals and visitors alike, not the least because it was free and always open.
For generations of Australians, the beach and ocean has played a significant role in our culture and lifestyle - coastal indigenous peoples were utilising the shoreline and neighbouring waterways for centuries, and unsurprisingly, it took little time before European settlers also began making the most of the clean, clear waters.
With the British medical profession highlighting the hygienic and therapeutic benefits of open-air bathing in cold saltwater, ocean swimming began to gain popularity by the late 18th century. Australian coastal waters, however, represented unfamiliar and often intimidating prospects - pounding waves, strong currents and the threat of shark attacks all served to unnerve those who braved the briny, particularly in an era when few could swim properly, let alone strongly.
Metropolitan areas began to construct purpose-built baths in an attempt to protect swimmers from these dangers, providing a safe environment in which to make the most of the health benefits of the ocean. These facilities also addressed the 19th century Victorian social standards of decency and morality by enabling the restriction of any widespread public display of the human form. Since 1833, a colonial ban on bathing during daylight-hours had been in place, restricting opportunities for swimming. However, as the 1890s turned over into the 20th century, a shift in social attitudes saw the activity increasingly regarded as a cost-effective competitive sport with health benefits rather than simply a pursuit with therapeutic and hygienic advantages.
Finally, in 1902, the issue came to a head when Manly newspaper editor William Gocher took a personal stand, entering the ocean at noon on three successive Sundays. On the third occasion he was finally arrested in front of some 1,000 onlookers. His efforts had the desired result though, with liberalisation of the law the following year, although all swimmers over eight years of age were still required to wear neck to knee bathing costumes.
Australia's early beach culture had begun, and combined with the increasing affluence of an expanding middle class, greater disposable income, more leisure time and a developing seaside tourism industry, the shift in attitudes and values saw escalating public demand for improved beach access and safer swimming facilities. Just one result was the rising number of ocean baths constructed up and down Australia’s east coast to afford smooth, calm swimming environments that protected from the possibility of drowning or shark attacks.
Fabric, design, manufacture and condition:
Thompson's Point Baths -
Blue Pool -
Aslings Beach Rock Pool - Imlay Shire Council engineer?
Thompson’s Point Baths - John Hines (cementing); J. A. Spurling (rock excavation).
Blue Pool -
Aslings Beach Rock Pool - Mr. V. J. Jones.
Local residents and visitors to the district.
Production / manufacturing date:
Thompson’s Point Baths - 1904/05; enlarged 1907.
Blue Pool – 1937/1938.
Aslings Beach Rock Pool - 1961.
Related places, items, collections:
The particular significance of this Object:
Encompassing a broad time frame from the early to the late 20th century, the Bega Valley Shire’s three ocean baths are indicative of the birth and growth of the Australian beach and later surf culture that figure so prominently in the local and national way of life. Popular communal gathering places, the pools reflect changes in social and cultural attitudes towards sea bathing, shifting from seclusion primarily for therapeutic and hygiene reasons towards public pursued as a legitimately healthy leisure time and sporting activities.
The three baths have outstanding social value for the local and visiting population. As focal points of recreational and education activities through to the present day, they are held in high esteem by the many generations who played, relaxed, sunbathed and learned to swim there. They also offer significant evidence of the importance placed on recreational bathing by residents over a period of more than a century.
They provide important proof of the growth and development of bathing and swimming facilities within the current local government area from around the turn-of-the-19th-century right through to the present day. They also link with and illustrate the impact that the growth of the amateur swimming movement had on community expectations, demands and provision of increasingly improved public facilities.
Retaining their traditional irregularly shaped layout and appearance, the baths are all set in aesthetically spectacular bay locations, providing an important physical link with, and documenting the development and use of local foreshores for social and public recreational facilities. They are also important illustrations of ingenious design solutions to exploit and alter the natural environment for the provision of amenities for human use and enjoyment.
This grouping are excellent representative examples of community recreational tidal pools that were once popular and common along the NSW east coast but that are increasingly rare today. The fact that the Bega Valley Shire is able to boast three such facilities spanning such an extensive time period reinforces their rarity and value to the local community and the wider NSW population. In addition, dating back to just after the beginning of the 20th century, the Thompson's Point Baths are today one of the oldest extant non-metropolitan ocean pools in NSW.
The three facilities also provide important physical links with a number of important local identities including John Hines; Bill Dickinson; and Michael Creswick.
8: DEVELOPING AUSTRALIA’S CULTURAL LIFE
Having fun in Bega Valley Shire
3: DEVELOPING LOCAL, REGIONAL AND NATIONAL ECONOMIES
4: BUILDING SETTLEMENTS, TOWNS AND CITIES
8: DEVELOPING AUSTRALIA’S CULTURAL LIFE
Environment – cultural landscapes
Towns, suburbs and villages
Cultural landscapes within Bega Valley Shire
Health and well-being in Bega Valley Shire
Constructing townships within Bega Valley Shire
Educating and learning institutions within Bega Valley Shire
Sociality in Bega Valley Shire
Sports in Bega Valley Shire
Settling, developing and building the region
Developing the settlements, villages and towns
Governing and civic history
Entertainment and social life
Sports and recreation
Geographically associated places / sites:
Associated / linked places / sites / items / people:
Heritage listings (statutory and non-statutory):
All three sites listed on Schedule 5 (heritage) of the Bega Valley Shire Council’s Local Environment Plan.
Encyclopedia of South East History - Aslings Beach Rock Pool
Encyclopedia of South East History - Bermagui’s Blue Pool
Encyclopedia of South East History - Thompson’s Point Baths
Contributors to this ‘library’:
Angela George and Pat Raymond, February 2019
Acknowledgements, Rights and Permissions:
Acknowledgement of Angela George and Pat Raymond.
© Angela George and Pat Raymond. All rights reserved.
References and bibliography:
Bega District News
Bell, Wendy, pers. comm.
Blazely, Coral, pers. comm.
Bowral Free Press
Brennan, Kim, pers. comm.
Capararo, Christine, pers. comm.
Chisolm, Debbie, pers. comm.
Clark, Rusty, pers. comm.
Cocks, Kay, pers. comm.
Creswick, Benita, pers. Comm.
Cross, Erica, pers. comm.
Devlin, Dennise, pers. comm.
Drenkhahn, Jenny, pers. comm.
Eden Advancement Association records, Eden Killer Whale Museum collection
Eden Baths Committee minute book, Eden Killer Whale Museum collection
Eden Magnet and Pambula Voice
Fox, Leonie, pers. comm.
Gaha, Ron, and Hearn, Judi, Bermagui - A Century of Features and Families, BermaguiHistorical Society, 2011
Gibson, Gail, pers. comm.
Hammond, Kim, pers. comm.
Hansen, Ann B., pers. comm.
Helmore, Paul, pers. comm.
Henry, Geoff, pers. comm.
Henson, Michael, pers. comm.
Holmes, Steven, pers. comm.
Honeyman, Lyn, pers. comm.
Korner, Joanne, pers. comm.
Korner, Judy, pers. comm.
Korner, Marc, pers. comm.
Longstaff, Katie, pers. comm.
Magnet and Voice
Marks, Clive, pers. comm.
Mathieson, Kellie, pers. comm.
McGinley, Denelle, pers. comm.
McKenna, Jennifer, pers. comm.
McKenzie, Shirleen, pers. comm.
Moore, Cheryl, pers. comm.
O'Brien, Traci, pers. comm.
Owen, Tricia, pers. comm.
Rama, Mara, pers. comm.
Robert, Karen, pers. comm.
Saleta, Karen Bobbin, pers. comm.
Southern Record and Advertiser
Stare, Marjorie, pers. comm.
Squires, Robert, pers. comm.
Sydney Morning Herald
Taylor, Robert, pers. comm.
Tunnock, Kat, pers. comm.
White, Jody, pers. comm.
Whiter, Peter, pers. comm.
Whiter, Robert, pers. comm.
Williams, Raymond, pers. comm.
Winnel, Norelle, pers. comm.
Yarwood, A. T., George Johnston (1764 – 1823), Australian Dictionary of Biographyhttp://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/johnston-george-2277
Contributors to this ‘library’:
Angela George and Pat Raymond 18.2.2019
© 2019 Angela George and Pat Raymond. All Rights Reserved.
This Bega Shire Hidden Heritage project has been made possible by the NSW Government through its Heritage Near Me program.
Any further information relating to this object or to associated topics will be GREATLY welcomed and will be added to the above library of information. Please email your contribution to email@example.com