Davidson Whaling Station was the longest-operating shore-based whaling station in Australia and the last of its type to close down. It has associations with early European pioneers to the area, including the Imlay brothers, Benjamin Boyd, Oswald Brierly, the Davidson and Boyd families.
Its remaining historic structures and records (including the remains of the tryworks [where whale blubber was boiled down], a cottage and living quarters, some components of the garden and many artefacts from the whaling period) reflect the use of the site as a whaling station and illustrate clearly the living and working conditions of a whaling station.
Until the first decade of the 20th century, shore-based whaling was carried out almost full-time from the station by Alexander Davidson, his son John and grandson George. A catch of 10-15 whales each season was initially reported, but by 1925 the entire catch for the season had dropped to just two whales.